We've Moved!

In an attempt to get organized, The Blogged Word has moved!

We're still on Blogger, just under a different account. Click to go to "
The New Blogged Word."

Thanks!



Friday, October 24, 2008

1588

Time is relative - especially here. 1588 isn't today's true number, but it was a milestone. In catching up to the current day through creative and witty blog postings, this event bears noting. First, a perspective:

It is becoming more unusual for a person to spend their entire career at one company as I have. The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that today's students will have 10-14 jobs - by age 38. While I have had many positions at one company, it has been - one company. Based on the increasingly mobile society in which we live, I would argue that many of those 10-14 jobs will be with multiple employers.

Employees make livings for themselves ranging from what's considered "good" to being challenged with every household expense. Some don't like their jobs at all while some are completely satisfied. There are many in the middle who simply work because they have to, and accidentally derive some positive experiences along the way.

In one's career, there can be positions held that fulfill, challenge, enrich, allow growth, and even provide enjoyment. But it is rare that they all happen at the same time. Then add the element of fun, and it truly becomes a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Enter 1588.

This Retirement Countdown blog concept originated from the notion that as soon as I was eligible for retirement (age 55 and 30 years of service), I would jump at the opportunity to do something new. When I'm 55, I'll have 32+ years of service and I thought it might be time for a different environment. Then, 1588 happened.

An accidental series of events caused me to learn about my current position. Once I pursued it, I was fortunate to land it. Almost because it was "meant to be." Now I'm not usually a cosmic person, but the stars did align. Not only am I experiencing all the positive aspects mentioned earlier (and many more!), I am actually having fun. Fun. Something people don't normally mention when blogging about their jobs.

Over this past year, my perspective has now changed. Instead of counting down the days to August 1, 2011 for an exit at a high rate of speed, I'm now much less motivated to count. Make no mistake, I'm still counting - but not with the same fervor. I may continue to work because I want to - not just because I have to. It may boil down to just how long this position remains "fun."

If you were to land your dream job just as retirement was coming into focus, how would it change your countdown drive?

Note: since this post moved from The Retirement Countdown, the connected comments did not come along.  Below is a post from a good friend, Molly.  You can read her blog at mollyleecards.blogspot.com:

I have fun, a lot of fun, at my current position as well, however, given the choice, if I were able to retire tomorrow, I would very likely take it. This is not so much a reflection of how I view my job (which I do enjoy), but what is going on outside of my job. With two young children growing up while I work full-time, I often get pangs that I'm missing out on important milestones. I would love to be more active in their classrooms and daily lives.

While it is possible that I do have what is close to a dream job right now, who is to say that a dream pasttime or side business might not be there if I only had the time to pursue it?

If/when I retire, though, I will need some kind of side venture going, some freelance, volunteer or other parttime work, to anchor my life and keep me from being too bored.

Thanks for asking!

No comments: